Here is an update on my third milestone for the forest project. The goal of this milestone was to inject some more atmosphere and work on the core lighting. Some of the textures are incomplete, for instance, the landscape materials, the walls, the water, and rocks. A link to the work in progress versions: part one and part two.
A simple IK rigging script done with Python.
Here are some more work in progress shots on my forest project in Unreal. I’ve been working on the fog shader, the grass, lighting, and the water. The water shader is still a work in progress, and I’m missing a lot of meshes currently to fill the forest.
Part one of earlier images are in this post.
The most recent shot:
I’m working on an independent project on procedural shaders using primarily the Unreal Engine and Substance Designer. My goal is to focus on a natural but slightly surreal small environment.
Here are some work in progress screenshots of the environment currently. I’m still working on the other environment effects and placing more models. The trees were created with Speedtree and the textures are placeholder. The grass I created in Maya, using this method, and I plan to add more variation.
Post process fog effects added. First pass at god rays from the first two thumbnails.
Another camera angle.
A pathway to another area of the map.
A rough block in of the waterfall area.
I’ll update in a week or so with more progress shots.
Some photo reference I took for this project:
Another rig from a class, this video is focused on the face rigging. The model is used with permission from merryproject.com.
This is a rig from a class. The model is copyrighted Gearbox Software and 2K Games.
This is my project for a lighting and rendering class, using Maya and Mental Ray.
The first part of the assignment was 10 different compositions. There ended up being an underlying theme in all of my thumbnails about travel and mystery.
First pass at thumbnails, using key descriptive words.
Thumbnails – Pass 2
Second pass at thumbnails, focusing more on value and mood.
I used paint FX for the trees and foliage, and a color ramp for the fog. The textures were done in substance painter. The wood and cement texture is from cgtextures.com.
I changed the color of the foliage and the colors in the fog. More tweaks to the foliage and trees.
Almost finished. Textures were incomplete and foliage still had some tweaking left.